It is customary at this time of year for the Ministry of Natural Resources to remind all ice-fishermen that registering their hut is a requirement under Ontario law.
Here is the release straight from the MNR – Kemptville District:
Ice Hut Registration Required On Area Lakes
Safety Of Anglers And Boaters
To protect the environment and ensure safety, anglers must register new or previously unregistered ice fishing huts on area lakes.
Registration is free and helps prevent anglers from abandoning their huts. Abandoned huts can end up in waterways when the ice thaws.
▪ Huts must be registered in Fishery Management Zones 12, 18 and 20 in Kemptville District. To register your ice hut in these areas, call the local ministry office [613-258-8204]. Generally, this may be done over the telephone. Once registered, an ice fishing hut can be used anywhere in Ontario.
▪ Anglers must remove ice huts from the waters of Zone 20 (St. Lawrence River) by March 1, 2010. Huts in Zone 18 and in Zone 12 (Ottawa River below Lake Timiskaming Dam), must be removed by March 15, 2010.
▪ It’s a good idea to place huts on 15 cm (six-inch) high wooden blocks to make it easier to remove them at the end of the season. Ice hut owners must keep the area around their huts clear of garbage.
▪ Registration numbers on ice huts must be at least 6.3 centimetres (2.5 inches) in height and clearly displayed on the outside of the hut.
▪ Tent-style ice huts made of cloth or synthetic fabric that have a base area of seven square metres (75.4 square feet) or less when erected do not need to be registered.
▪ It is an offence under the Public Lands Act to leave an ice hut out after ice break up regardless of whether registration and removal dates apply.
▪ For ice hut registration in other districts, refer to the 2010 Recreational Fishing Regulations Summary available from licence issuers, ServiceOntario/ Government Information Centres, or on the ministry’s website at ontario.ca/fishing.
▪ For more information on ice hut registration and requirements, contact your local ministry office.
|Steve Aubry, Kemptville District(613) 258-8404||
Disponible en français